Welcome to the Website of the Symposium
"Organic Chemistry and the Synthesis of Complex Molecules
A tribute to István E. Markó"
Thursday 12th and Friday 13th, September 2019
Auditoire SUD 18 - Place Croix du Sud
B - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Dear colleagues, former group members, friends and family,
We are pleased to invite you to join us at a symposium in memory of professor István E. Markó, which will be held in Louvain-la-Neuve, September 12th and 13th, 2019.
Professor Markó (biography), was in charge of the "Laboratoire de Chimie Organique et Médicinale" in the Université catholique de Louvain during 24 years.
Lectures of the symposium "Organic Chemistry and The Synthesis of Complex Molecules - A tribute to István Markó" will be delivered by the friends of István.
The symposium will be held on Thursday, September 12th beginning at 14h00 and will end on Friday, September 13th at 18h00. It will be followed by a reception and a dinner on Friday evening.
The access to the symposium is FREE to all, however in order to facilitate the organisation and for security reasons, we ask you to register for the symposium.
Please find here the booklet of the symposium (pdf)
We look forward to seeing you in Louvain-la-Neuve in September.
Confirmed plenary lectures include the following speakers:
- Prof. Varinder Aggarwal (University of Bristol) : "Assembly Line Synthesis"
- Prof. Janine Cossy (Ecole Supérieure de Physique et de Chimie Industrielle de la ville de Paris) : "Synthesis of complex molecules and development of methods"
- Prof. Donald Craig (Imperial College London) : "Enantiospecific synthesis of 5- and 6-membered nitrogen heterocycles"
-Prof. Pierre De Clercq (UGhent): "August Kekulé: Beyond the Snake Dream"
- Prof. Ben Feringa (University of Groningen), Nobel Prize of Chemistry 2016: "From Molecules to Dynamic Molecular Systems"
- Prof. Ari Koskinen (Aalto University) : "Total synthesis of Natural Products as a Driver for Development of New Methods"
- Dr Trevor Laird (Trevor Laird Associates) : "Scaling up Organic Chemistry to Kg and Tonne Scale; what goes wrong!!"
- Prof. Annemieke Madder (UGhent) :"Design and synthesis of complex biomolecular constructs for diagnostic devices"
- Prof. Anita Maguire (University College Cork) : "Recent advances in enantioselective catalysis"
- Prof. Steven Nolan (UGhent) :"Synthetic Access to Metal-NHC complexes for Catalysis"
- Prof. Dieter Schinzer (University of Magdeburg) : "Recent Progress in Complex Natural Products Synthesis"
- Prof. John Sigurd Svendsen (The Arctic University of Norway) : "Unexpected chemistry provides unexpected protein kinase inhibitors"
EMAIL ADRESS FOR THE SYMPOSIUM:
Scientific committee :
Professor Robert R. Crichton (UCLouvain), Professor Ari M.P. Koskinen (Aalto University), Professors Raphaël Robiette and Michael Singleton (UCLouvain).