Have completed the 'Consecutive Interpreting' course (LINTP2330)
Diverse contemporary problematiques.
Contribution of teaching unit to learning outcomes assigned to programme
With regard to the learning outcomes assigned to the Master's programme in Interpreting, this teaching unit contributes to the development and acquisition of the following goals: 1.1, 1.4, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 6.1, 7.4
On completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Express fluently in French the message originally delivered in Language C respecting the speaker's drift and purpose;
- Use French accurately;
- Rigorously and efficiently employ knowledge and know-how in the practice of consecutive interpreting;
- Demonstrate that he or she possesses broad general knowledge and is keen to develop further in this domain;
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of Dutch culture;
- Adapt presentation (form and content) to the target audience respecting the speaker's purpose;
- Independently implement the measures necessary to improve interpreting skills in pursuit of continuing professional development;
The contribution of this Teaching Unit to the development and command of the skills and learning outcomes of the programme(s) can be accessed at the end of this sheet, in the section entitled “Programmes/courses offering this Teaching Unit”.
This Consecutive Interpreting Practise is a follow-up to the previous 1Q Consecutive Interpretive Course.
Basically this Unit carries over the same objectives : in-depth understanding and analysis of a speech in Dutch , improving note-taking skills, the faithfull rendition of the speakers train of thoughts, a fair knowledge of the Dutch world stakes and its cultural pecularities, the accuracy and fluencey of the target language (hence French), quality communicative skills.
The speeches in Dutch address subject-matters linked to society and on-going news in Dutch-speaking countries, with increasing length and density as compared to the first term/quadrimester.
The students performance is subject to the teacher and class-mates appraisal. Avenues for improvement are put forward.
On-going appraisal and final assessment
Other assignments (based on texts, audio, visuals) will be given during lectures.
Websites of Dutch, French, Belgian and European parliaments, assemblies and other official online references.
Other websites referred to during lectures.
Meta: journal des traducteurs https://meta.erudit.org
Other resources referred to during the lectures.