Team building at institute level
Dr. at UCL in 2019
Main project: Multi-scale modeling of a structured catalytic reactor for steam methane reforming
Supervisor(s): Juray De Wilde
Methane reforming is the most widely practiced process for the production of hydrogen and syngas. The process is however strongly limited by heat transfer between the furnace and the process gas, pressure drop and intra-particle diffusion limitations. Structured catalytic reactors are promising in order to intensify the process and deal with the limitations encountered in conventional reformers.
The multi-scale modeling of ZoneFlow structured catalytic reactors is addressed. The intrinsic reaction kinetics is experimentally studied in a micro-packed bed reactor. The Langmuir-Hinshelwood-Hougen-Watson-type rate equations are derived and non-linear regression is applied to estimate the rate parameters. A pseudo-continuum approach description of the catalyst coating is used to account for intra-catalyst diffusion limitations. The complex flow pattern is described by means of a CFD model. To bridge the scales of turbulence, the RANS approach is adopted and the k-epsilon turbulence model is applied. Thermal conduction and radiative heat transfer are included. The reactor model is validated using specific experiments including cold flow pressure drop, inert heat transfer and pilot plant tests under reactive conditions.
The developed model is then used to study and optimize the performance of ZoneFlow reactors under commercial operating conditions.
IMMC main research direction(s):
Research group(s): IMAP
See complete list of publications
1. Minette, Florent; Lugo-Pimentel, Michael; Modroukas, Dean; Davis, Andrew W.; Gill, Rajinder; Castaldi, Marco J.; De Wilde, Juray. Intrinsic kinetics of steam methane reforming on a thin, nanostructured and adherent Ni coating. In: Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 238, p. 184-197 (2018). doi:10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.07.015. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/201054
1. He, Zirui; Minette, Florent; De Wilde, Juray. Numerical simulation of industrial scale autothermal Chemical Looping Methane Reforming for syngas production in a dual fluidised bed reactor. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/204838
2. Minette, Florent; De Wilde, Juray. Multi-scale modeling of an annular structured catalytic reactor: application to steam methane reforming. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/214201
3. Minette, Florent; De Wilde, Juray; Marco Castaldi; Michael Lugo. Experimental study of the intrinsic kinetics of steam methane reforming on a thin and adherent Ni coating. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/214199
4. Minette, Florent; De Wilde, Juray. Multi-scale modeling of an annular structured catalytic reactor for steam methane reforming. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/214203
1. Minette, Florent. Multi-scale modeling and design of a structured catalytic reactor for bi-reforming of methane, prom. : De Wilde, Juray, 20/05/2019. http://hdl.handle.net/2078.1/216776