CYBERSECURITY AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
28 April, 5-12-19 May 2021
from 12.55 pm to 1.35 pm (CET).
Participation is free but online registration is mandatory | clic here
Webinars organized by :
-the European Law Institute (Hub for Belgium & Luxembourg),
-the Radboud Universiteit (The Netherlands) and
-the UCLouvain (Belgium)
The European Law Institute, the Radboud Universiteit and the UCLouvain organize jointly a series of lunch webinars on the relationship between cybersecurity and dispute resolution.
Cybersecurity has increasingly drawn attention over the last few months. Indeed, the amount of cybersecurity breaches occurring due to COVID-related circumstances has much risen. Yet, European regulation has only focused on criminalizing cyber hacking and other violations of digital infrastructures and on creating compliance mechanisms to limit the cybersecurity risks. Especially in Europe, less attention has been paid to the enforcement of these duties and the role of courts when it comes to resolving conflicts pertaining to digital issues. This webinar series proposes a string of short presentations with the aim to fill in that gap.
Presentations will be given by academics and practitioners in the field of cybersecurity and will be followed by open discussions with the audience.
The presentations will be held on Wednesdays 28 April, 5-12-19 May 2021, from 12.55 pm to 1.35 pm (CET).
The presentations will be followed by panel discussions and questions from 1.35pm to 2.00 pm.
28 April 2021. Cybersecurity 101. The EU responses to cyber-incidents, more regulation or more litigation? Episode 1
1. EU frameworks (D. De Cicco, UCLouvain/Steptoe)
2. Cybersecurity standards or schemes as (part of) the answer (ENISA, tbc)
3. The US approach, different?
5 May 2021. Cybersecurity 101. The EU responses to cyber-incidents, more regulation or more litigation? Episode 2
1. Liabilities under GDPR/ePrivacy (E. Papakonstantinou, VUB)
2. Security liabilities outside data protection rules (e.g. trade secrets) (tbc)
3. The perspective of law enforcement – (tbc, ANSSI)
12 May 2021. Cybersecurity 102: Digital identity and digital evidence: how to ensure integrity online?
1. Signature: tbc
2. Documents (Zetes)
3. Know-your-customer obligation (P. Wolters, Radboud)
19 May 2021. Cybersecurity 103: Insuring against cybersecurity risks: why and how ?
1. Cybersecurity contractual provisions & arbitration (J. de Werra & Y. Benhamou, U Geneva)
2. Forensic prep work in case of cybersecurity breach (identifying “reliable” hackers) (C. Demande, Pwc) ;
3. The perspective of insurance companies: managing a cyberbreach (Marsh Insurance)
Participation is free but registration is mandatory
Scientific Coordination: Enguerrand Marique (Universitair Docent at Radboud Universiteit, Guest Lecturer at the UCLouvain & Secretary of the Belgium-Luxembourg Hub of the European Law Institute), with the support of Charles-Albert Helleputte (Steptoe, UCLouvain) and Diletta De Cicco (Steptoe, UCLouvain)