American feminist political scientist Joan Tronto (born in 1952) theorises the extension of the ethic of care beyond the domestic sphere to the public sphere and campaigns for the consideration of gender as a relevant criterion for thinking about the economy.
Rejecting individualism in the social sciences, she considers human relations as the foundation of the social and political body, insisting on the care of the other.
She criticises capitalism as a pernicious system that privileges desires over needs, with no regard for the sustainability of ecosystems or the well-being of individuals.
Sponsor of Joan Tronto
Prof. Pascale Vielle (CIRTES/IACCHOS)
Program of the week
- Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - Official ceremony for the awarding of the title of Doctor Honoris Causa
- Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - Screening of Overseas followed by discussion with director Sung-A Yoon and Joan Tronto
- Thursday, October 28, 2021 - Study Day - Beyond pandemics, new perspectives for care: a dialogue with Joan Tronto
- Thursday, October 28, 2021 - CONFERENCE - Can Democratic Caring Save Our Planet?
- Friday, October 29, 2021 - General States of Care: Post-pandemic social struggles in dialogue with Joan Tronto