Since its founding in 1425, UCLouvain has both reached out to the world and invited it in. Through student exchanges, hosting international professors and researchers, interuniversity partnerships, participation in European and global networks, and a long tradition of cooperation in international development, UCLouvain has exerted influence throughout the world for nearly 600 years.
Some figures that illustrate the international character of today’s UCLouvain:
- One in five students is international and more 120 nationalities are represented.
- One-third of UCLouvain graduates pursue part of their education overseas, with possibilities to study in more than 80 countries.
- Among UCLouvain’s 190 master’s programmes, 21 are conducted entirely in English and 45 offer joint master’s degrees.
- 260,000 individuals from 198 countries have enrolled in one of UCL’s 21 MOOCs.
- Half of all doctoral students are international; UCLouvain maintains thesis co-supervision agreements with 140 international institutions.
- A third of researchers who hold a doctorate and work at UCLouvain are international.
- 27 UCLouvain researchers have been awarded a European Research Council Grant.
- In 2016, 225 research projects were financed by European framework programmes.