How do I enrol at UCLouvain?

First, you have to complete the UCLouvain online application form :

  • if you are NOT a national of a European Union country : deadline is 30 April.
  • if you ARE a national of a European Union country, the online application deadline is 31 August.

When your online application is complete and your accompanying documents are received, your file will be assessed and, if it is approved, the Enrolment Office will send you a registration authorisation. This assessment takes several weeks.

Exception: if you are a national of a European Union country and hold a Belgian degree, you can bypass the application procedure and register directly online.

► More information.

How much does it cost to study at UCLouvain?

UCLouvain is a private university, but it is subsidised by public authorities, which is why it is affordable. University tuition fees are identical across all of French-speaking Belgium.

Students who are nationals of one of the 27 countries of the European Union pay €835 per year. Fees vary for students who are not nationals of a European Union country.

► Consult our tuition fee pages for updated information.

How do I obtain a student visa for Belgium?

If you are admitted to UCLouvain, the Enrolment Office will provide you with a registration authorisation letter to add to the student visa application file that you will submit to your Belgian embassy or consulate.

If you are a national of one of the 28 countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway or Switzerland, you do not require a student visa but you must register with the commune where you reside in Belgium.

► More information is available at the ‘Visa for Belgium’ page of the Belgian Foreign Affairs website.

How do I find housing? 

UCLouvain is unique for having so many furnished student housing units. Many students live in shared flats (with individual bedrooms, kitchen, living room and communal bathrooms).

If you would like to live in UCLouvain housing, you will be able to apply online via the Accommodation Office webpage. Private housing offers are also available at various university locations.

How much should I budget? 

A single student should budget approximately €12,500 per year (not including tuition and registration fees). For a family, add an additional €3,500 per person. These estimates are intended to cover settling-in, housing, food, transport, medical care and entertainment.

Where can I apply for a scholarship? 

UCLouvain does not award scholarships to international students who wish to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree. However, some Belgian and international organisations offer funding:

  • Commission de la Coopération au développement (this is the ‘International Development Commission’ of the French Community of Belgium’s ‘Higher Education Research Academy’, French acronym: ARES-CCD),
  • Direction générale de la Coopération au Développement des Affaires étrangères (Belgium’s ‘Directorate General for International Development’, DGD)
  • Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF, an international association of French-language universities, grandes écoles, academic networks and scientific research centres)

In addition, the European Union funds scholarships for Erasmus Mundus master’s degrees. Also check with your own institution, government and international organisations (e.g. EU, UN, World Bank).

► More information is available at the ‘Study in Belgium’ website.

Am I authorised to work during my studies? 

In Belgium, foreign students in possession of a specific Belgian work permit have the right to work part-time, up to 19 hours per week, during the academic year and up to 38 hours per week during the summer holiday.

Belgian law does not allow students to fund their studies based solely on income from student jobs.

► More information is available at the ‘Student at Work’ website.

Can I take French classes at UCLouvain?

Of course! If you want to improve your French during your master’s or doctoral programme, you can register for French classes at the UCLouvain Language Institute (Institut des langues vivantes, ILV). Moreover, the university, in collaboration with the Louvain Language Centres (Centres de Langues de Louvain, CLL), offers intensive French summer and winter holiday programmes specially designed for international students.

► More information on learning languages.

Do I need to buy health insurance?

In Belgium, all students must have health insurance.

  • If you are a national of a European Union country or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, consider requesting your European Health Insurance Card, provided free of charge and allowing you to access the same health care available to Belgians.
  • If you are not a European Union national, then join a mutual insurance company (€100-120/year) upon your arrival in Belgium. It reimburses (in part or in whole depending on the service) medical care and certain prescription drug purchases.

Does UCLouvain admit only catholics or christians?

No. Students of many religions attend UCLouvain, and no religious involvement is required.