- Every faculty member with little or no academic experience will be appointed at the rank of Associate Professor* (entry rank for an academic career in Belgium).
- Those with several years of academic experience gained since completing their PhD may immediately be appointed at the rank of Professor, based on analysis of their academic career to date.
- The rank of Full Professor, on the other hand, is not available upon appointment, only by internal promotion.
Will the successful applicant be tenured?
Whether the appointment is permanent or temporary will depend on the successful applicant’s experience and age. Newly recruited faculty members with limited experience – or who are changing disciplines – will be appointed as Associate Professor* for a probationary period of (three or) four years (tenure track). If the successful candidate receives a favorable performance appraisal at the end of his or her probation, this temporary appointment will be made permanent (tenure).
The appraisal will cover
- teaching skills and ability to teach in both French and English,
- integration into the faculty and institute where he or she works and, on a broader level, within the University, collaboration with colleagues,
- integration into the scientific community and, more specifically, into a flourishing research team,
- ongoing scientific output.
When the successful applicant takes up his or her position, all of these objectives will be defined with the Vice-Rector for Personal Policy, the Vice-Rector for the Sector, the Dean and the Head of the Institute in a "Joint Academic Career plan" (JAC).
(*) An Associate Professor may use the title of “Professor” once he or she takes up his or her duties.
To have an indication of the basic salary you will be earning, depending on your academic rank and seniority* at the time of appointment, please click here (in FR only).
(*) In exceptional circumstances (see section 43 of the Law of 28 April 1953), the Board of Governors may grant newly recruited faculty member extra pecuniary seniority in a given rank, on the basis of a recommendation by the "Remuneration Committee". However, seniority may not go further back than the date of the PhD thesis defense. By "exceptional circumstances", the Board of Governors primarily means significant, relevant experience in teaching and/or research.
Teaching load (number of classes and average annual teaching hours)
In the case of academics appointed as Associate Professor (tenure track), the teaching load is 90 hours of classes/year during the probationary period (three or four years – up to max. 5 years), for a full-time position.
In the case of academics appointed as Associate Professor or Professor (tenured), the teaching load is increased to 150 hours of classes/year on average, for a full-time position.
Benefits for UCL staff
- FREE PUBLIC TRANSPORT : UCL employees can benefit from free commuting by train, or other public transportation (bus, tramways...). UCL covers the full cost of train tickets.
- ACCESS TO MEDICAL CARE at Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc and CHU UCL Namur.
- OTHER BENEFITS...
Candidates who are offered a job will be informed of the practical arrangements as well as the other benefits enjoyed by UCL members.
Residency in Belgium
Faculty members who are offered a position will be asked to have a residency in Belgium shortly (i.e. within the 12 months after they start at UCL), their teaching and research activities requiring a regular attendance at their office and laboratory.