UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure track or tenured full time position in Computer Science
The successful candidate will be involved in the implementation and teaching of a new bachelor's degree in computer science being created on the site of Charleroi, as well as in teaching in the computer science degrees at Louvain-la-Neuve, in particular the bachelor of computer science, the master in computer science engineering and the master in computer science. Bachelor level courses are taught mainly in French, master level courses exclusively in English.
The successful candidate will develop his or her research activities in the main research domains in computer science at the ICTEAM institute, thus facilitating his or her integration within the existing team:
• Software Systems and Networks
• Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
• Software Engineering and Programming Systems
Experience in application areas such as medicine or life sciences will be considered an asset.
Nevertheless, this list should not be considered exhaustive; the position remains open to candidates with strong skills in other areas of computer science as well.
The involvement in the creation of a new bachelor’s degree in computer science should be seen by the candidate as a unique opportunity to increase the visibility and development of computing in Belgium and the city of Charleroi in particular.
Given the involvement in the creation and teaching of the bachelor’s degree in computer science in Charleroi, knowledge of the French language, spoken and written, is essential.
Application deadline: 3rd February 2020
Deadline for recommandation letters: 14th February 2020
Starting date: 1st September, 2020
Further information :
Prof. Michel Verleysen, Dean EPL – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Jean-Didier Legat, President ICTM – email@example.com
Localization: Science and Technology Sector
Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/EPL)
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTM) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics)
General conditions - Tasks : the applicant will:
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in sciences or engineering, orientation computer science or any related discipline;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills;
- Be proficient in French (spoken and written) and, if possible, in English. For the latter, a commitment will be required to acquire it within two years of taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in this language. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.