The laboratory of mycology, including the mycothèque (BCCM/MUCL), is conducting basic and applied research in the domain of mycology. Interdisciplinarity is cultivated through numerous international collaborations.
- Analysis of the role of fungi in food manufacturing processes (brewery, dairy, bakery) and in alteration of food products (fungal contamination in the production chains).
- Taxonomy, phylogeny and ecology of fungi from natural or anthropized environment (fungal diversity in litter and canopy of tropical forests, in agricultural crops, in insect gut)
- Study of trophic chain and host/symbiont or host/pathogen interaction
- Diversity of wood-decaying fungi
- Role of fungi in
- Bio-stimulation of plant growth ( potato, maize, banana)
- Bio-protection of plants against biotic (ex. Phytophthora infestans, Rhizoctonia solani, Mycosphaerella fijiensis) and abiotic (salinity, drought) stresses
- bio-remédiation of polluted sites (ex. hydrocarbons, heavy metals).
- Purification and production of fungal bio-effectors
- SOLACE - Solutions for improving Agroecosystem and Crop Efficiency for water and nutrient use - H2020-SFS-01-2016 (2017-2022)
- MICROSOILSYSTEM - Reduction of chemical inputs by application of microbial consortia with bio-stimulant and bio-control effects adapted to soil functioning in conventional and conservation agriculture - Operational Directorate for Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment (DGO3) (2018-2021)
- MICROMETABOLITES - Research Training Network on the Microbial Enhancement of Bioactive Secondary Metabolite Production in Plants – Marie Curie Innovative Training Network (2017-2021)
- SMARTBIOCONTROL - Towards a sustainable transborder agriculture : an integrated and innovative approach to the development and application of new biocontrol agents – INTERREG (2016-2019)
- Integrated approach for sustainable management of date palm in Morocco - Research Project Development (PRD) (2017-2021)
- MYCOALGUES – Impact des macroalgues sur la symbiose mycorhizienne à arbucules et le contrôle des pathogènes de la pomme de terre - Public Service of Wallonia Directorate-General for Operations Economics, Employment and Research - Department of Research Projects - Regional Projects Directorate (2017-2021)
- Antibiotics and anti-quorum sensing compounds from African fungal endophytes inhabiting medicinal plants and cultures of macromycetes – ERANET (2014-2018)
- BENEFECT – Valorization of beneficial soil microorganisms as agro-ecological alternative to mineral fertilizers in maize production systems – Operational Directorate for Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment (2016-2018)