Technical problem-solving and IT resources
- Internet connection problems
If you have problems with your Internet connection, you have several options :
- Contact the Service Desk. This is a single point of contact for all IT-related queries at UCLouvain. A call centre directs the user to the appropriate contact. You can contact the Service Desk by phone or email.
- Access to computer rooms is closed, but it is possible to request access to a room for your academic activities within the limits of the possibilities of the university’s IT Service. To request access, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UCLouvain Mons FUCaM students must consult the Welc’Home webpages, click "Etudier à distance" and Equipement à domicile ».
- Computer problems
If you have problems with your computer (e.g. breakdown) or simply do not have one or the resources to acquire one quickly, we offer you solutions :
- As explained in the previous point, it is possible to request access to a computer room within the limits of the possibilities of the university’s IT Service.
- You can apply to the Student Support Service for social assistance for the purchase of a computer.
- Kot Linux has laptops available for loan in Louvain-la-Neuve.
To benefit from one of these three services, contact email@example.com.
UCLouvain Mons FUCaM students must consult the Welc’Home platform, click "Etudier à distance" and Equipement à domicile ».
- IT resources
UCLouvain students can use the Microsoft Office 365 suite and cloud services. This subscription is free. It is available in several versions (PC/Mac/Mobile) and includes up to five possible installations. To obtain Microsoft Office 365:
- Go to www.office.com.
- Login using your email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Access your email and office software.
If you need practical advice or have questions about using your online tools and resources (virtual office, Moodle, Teams, global account, UCLouvain email address, etc.), click here.
UCLouvain Mons FUCaM students must consult the Welc’Home platform.
Finding the right people and services
Because problems or the need for advice can arise at any time, you can always count on the support of many people and request service.
- Teaching staff
- The teaching team (professors, assistants) is available at the end of a course, during an instructorship as part of the course, or by email.
- The educational teams in charge of student support within your faculty.
- Tutors : more experienced students who, supervised by the faculty, give advice and answer your questions.
- Study advisers
Advising and supporting you is an integral part of their mission. They can also refer you to other people or resources.
Consult the list of study advisors.
Programme for students with specific profiles (PEPs)
Are you a student with a specific profile, i.e. a high-level (or promising) athlete, a person with a disability, disorder or illness, an artist or a student involved in an entrepreneurial project? You can benefit from a special status, called PEPS status, which provides specific arrangements for your university course.
To find out about and obtain this status, go to https://uclouvain.be/fr/etudier/peps
Course and Career Guidance Centre (CIO)
Le Course and Career Guidance Centre has two missions :
- Information and guidance : while guiding you through the range of course and career options, CIO counsellors encourage you to reflect deeply concerning both yourself and the environment, and promote the development of your personal goals.
Helping you find a job : CIO counsellors also prepare you to look for a job and make you aware of your skills and potential.
- Student Support Service
The Student Support Service is here for you. Need a sympathetic ear ? Want to change courses ? Have personal or financial concerns ? Don’t hesitate to contact it.
Need advice on your diet, emotional or sex life, mental health or social well-being ? Univers santé helps you deal with these issues through informational, awareness-building, prevention and risk reduction activities. This non-profit organisation exists to support you, so visit their website or contact one of its team members !
Sport and Fitness Service
Want to get some exercise or fresh air? The Soirt and Fitness Service has a wide range of facilities to help you find the right activity !
- Student buddy program
Need methodological or academic advice or simply a sympathetic ear ? Do you have questions about student life (studies, administration, entertainment, etc.) or managing everyday living (accommodation, student jobs, etc.)? Student Buddies are here to help you ! Don’t hesitate to send them your questions at email@example.com.
Student Buddies are available in the:
- Faculty of Philosophy, Arts and Letters (FIAL) (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Faculty of Science (SC) (contact: email@example.com)
- Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Faculty of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning (LOCI) (contact: email@example.com)
- Faculty of Bioengineering (AGRO) (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can also count on Student Buddies at the:
- International Student Council (CGEI) (contact: email@example.com)
- Centre Placet (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Méméssagerie chat to take your mind off things ! (Brussels-Woluwe)
On the Brussels-Woluwe campus, the 'Méméssagerie' was launched by a medical student group (UCLouvain Brussels-Woluwe) called the Mémé. Four evenings a week, two students are available via a phone number on the Telegram application to chat with other students anonymously.
Kots-à-projet (KAPs ), which are an integral part of UCLouvain student folklore, are theme-based accommodation in which students unite around a specific theme. KAPs address many subjects that affect you in some way. Here is a selection of KAPs that focus on methodological support and helping students get to know one another :
- Babbelkot offers discussion tables and activities to improve your level of English, German and Dutch. Contact : email@example.com.
- Supportkot offers workshops and methodological support, organises assisted study sessions, and hosts various activities at key moments in your student life to support and assist you. Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kotangente : provides free support and tutoring in mathematics and physics. Contact : email@example.com.
- Kot Erasmus : welcomes international students when they arrive at UCLouvain and guides them throughout the year via meetings, dinners and parties. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Organe KAP UCLouvain is the organisation of Louvain-la-Neuve KAPs. Contact : email@example.com.
- Student Offices (BDEs)
BDEs are student representative bodies at faculty level. They manage and coordinate elected delegates in your faculty’s classes, serve as student contact points for problems encountered in class, and refer students in need of help to the appropriate persons and services attached to a given faculty.
BDE contacts for Human Sciences Sector faculties
Law and Criminologye
- DRT : firstname.lastname@example.org - https://www.facebook.com/bde.droit.uclouvain
- CRIMINO : email@example.com - https://www.facebook.com/BDE-criminologie-933195113544355
Economic, Social, Political and Communication Sciences (LLN)
- ESPO : firstname.lastname@example.org - https://www.facebook.com/BDE.ESPO
- ESL : https://www.facebook.com/EconomicsSchoolLouvain
Louvain School of Management (LLN) : email@example.com - https://www.facebook.com/BDELSM
UCLouvain Mons FuCAM Student Council : https://www.facebook.com/UCLouvainFUCaM
Philosophy, Arts and Letters : firstname.lastname@example.org - https://www.facebook.com/bdefial
Psychology and Education Sciences : email@example.com - https://www.facebook.com/BDEPSP
BDE contacts for Science and Technology Sector faculties
Science : firstname.lastname@example.org
Architecture, ingénierie architecturale et urbanisme (St Gilles): Contact : email@example.com
Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning (Tournai) : firstname.lastname@example.org - https://www.facebook.com/bdelocitournai
Bioingénieurs: Contact : email@example.com : https://www.facebook.com/BDE-Agro-UCLouvain-1668472510057423
BDE contacts for Health Sciences Sector faculties
Medicine and Dentistry : firstname.lastname@example.org - https://www.facebook.com/bde.medecine.7
Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences : email@example.com - https://www.facebook.com/bde.fasb.9
Motor Skills Science : firstname.lastname@example.org - Lien : https://www.facebook.com/bde.fsm
- Louvain Student General Assembly (AGL)
The AGL is the student body through which students of UCLouvain campuses, including Woluwe (AGL.woluwe), make their opinions heard at all levels of political and university decision-making. Contact: - email@example.com - https://www.facebook.com/aglouvain
Services and association groups dedicated to international students
- International Student Council (CGEI)
- The CGEI is the body that represents and defends the rights of all international students at UCLouvain vis-à-vis the authorities.
- It organises activities such as conferences, workshops on Belgian regions, film screenings, walks, etc
- To keep up to date with the latest CGEI news and activities, join the team on Facebook !
- Centre PLACET
- Centre Placet is a residence hall for UCLouvain international students from Belgian cooperation partner countries, and has been recognised and subsidised by the Directorate-General for Cooperation (DGD) since 1973.
- Much more than just accommodation, it is a community living project for its residents during their UCLouvain programme..
- To keep up to date with Centre Placet news and activities, visit its Facebook page .
- Kot Erasmus
- Usually composed of 18 students (ten Erasmus and eight Belgian), Kot Erasmus aims to welcome, support and help Erasmus and international students throughout their exchange.
- Kot Erasmus organises Welcome Week and many other events throughout the year. Their aim is to introduce all international students to our university and Belgium and its traditions.
- Do not hesitate to contact them via Facebook, Instagram or email. Kot members will be happy to help you and to put you in touch with other students!
- Erasmus Student Network Louvain-la-Neuve (ESN LLN)
- L’ESN is a non-profit international student organisation whose aim is to represent international students and provide opportunities for cultural understanding and personal development on the principle of students helping students.
- ESN Louvain-la-Neuve is one of 18 ESN sections in Belgium. It organises activities such as trips, ‘walk and talk’, free French courses, etc.
- Join the ESN LLN team on Facebook ou Instagram pour connaitre toutes leurs activités.
- Access2University (A2U)
A2U is a programme that aims to prepare those applying for refugee status, who are limited by their French level, to resume university studies.
The programme is not a prerequisite for enrolment in the university and does not guarantee admission to a regular programme the following year.
Methodological and subject-specific support
Within each faculty, advisors, assistants and tutors are committed to :
- Reviewing methodology and certain subject areas.
- Providing advice on how to tackle exam preparation.
Don’t hesitate to contact your faculty’s study advisor.
Centre Placet ‘Communauté métisse’ intercultural community project
This intercultural community project, run by the Centre Placet, is a team of international and Belgian students who are ready to help you and give you advice on learning methodologies.
- On the initiative of kots-à-projet (theme-based student accommodation)
Supportkot Supportkot offers workshops and methodological support, organises assisted exam preparation and various activities at key moments in your student life.
Subject-specific remedial support
If you have not yet mastered certain subjects or need a helping hand to catch up to the required level of knowledge, you can benefit from subject-specific remedial support.
- In faculties
Remedial courses are offered in most faculties. Information about them is sent to you via faculty communication channels. Pay attention to your emails and news pages. You can also consult the faculty’s ‘aide à la réussite‘ ('Study support' ) page.
- On the initiative of KAP's
Kotangente offers remedial work in mathematics and physics. This KAP is available to answer your questions and help you get back on track. Due to the pandemic, this support is currently done via Teams. You can also study in groups via one of the two team channels available on the platform.
Several possibilities exist for brushing up or perfectiong your language skills :
- Language Institute (ILV)
The Language Institute offers :
- Year-round remedial sessions in the four main languages of the curriculum : German, English, Spanish and Dutch.
- French as a foreign language courses to UCLouvain students, from level A1 (beginner) to level C1 (advanced). The aim of these courses is to teach you to communicate in French, both orally and in writing, and to ensure that you are well integrated into Louvain-la-Neuve university life. So don’t hesitate to join the courses offered by the ILV teaching team !
- June exam preparation : from week ten onwards, the ILV offers its ‘Helping Hand’ programme, which is run by experienced students who help other students prepare for their language exams (German, English, Spanish and Dutch).
To keep up to date with institute activities, follow the ILV Facebook page !
- FLASH platform for Human Sciences Sector language training
Want to improve your language skills or learn a new language? Check out the FLASH plateform. Access to this platform is available at any time and is free for students of the following six faculties :
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Law and Criminology
- Faculty of Economic, Social, Political and Communication Sciences
- Louvain School of Management
- Faculty of Philosophy, Arts and Letters
- Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences
Don’t hesitate to connect via www.uclouvain.be/flash.
- On the initiative of KOT's
Babbelkot offers discussion tables and activities to improve your level of English, German and Dutch.
Online remediation tools
To practice on your own and in addition to the group remediation sessions offered by faculty teams, you can use the online remediation tools accessible from the "aide à la réussite" (‘study support’) platform.
You can refresh your knowledge in :
- Ecolage : a support tool for students in scientific subjects (biology, chemistry and physics).
- Automath : a tool for reviewing mathematical concepts taken for granted when starting university.
- Statistics via
- Statistics preparatory activity kit : a tool for revising/preparing for fist-year probability and/or statistics courses.
In Belgium, the French word "blocus" refers to the period of intense preparation for exams. Would you like to be coached and supported during this preparation ?
If you prefer to escape the isolation of individual studying, join other students at supervised preparation sessions (‘blocus’), which allow you to:
- Find the right balance between work, study and leisure.
- Study in small groups.
- Receive educational advice.
- Benefit from ‘well-being’ sessions: exercise breaks, relaxation therapy, meditation, etc.
- Receive dietary advice, cooking recipes, etc.
Supervisory teams aim to help you study for exams in the company of others and participate in many on-site activities.
- Exam preparation with others over Easter holiday
Louvain-La-Neuve campus students
- The International Student Council (CGEI) organises several study workshops to help international students, during the first week of Easter holiday (from 6 to 9 April, 10am to 12pm). Each day a workshop is offered. For more information, go to the Facebook page. You can also check out two workshop videos on YouTube which include a lot of advice :
- Workshop 1 : Managing your time and planning your study
- Workshop 2 : Finding the right study method
- Study facilities are available. For information on time slots and locations, click here.
- Exam preparation with others in May
You will be offered guidance and coaching during the May study period / https://urlz.fr/fo4X.
- Do not hesitate to join the study sessions offered to you. Information about them is sent to you through faculty communication channels. Please pay attention to your emails and news pages. You can also consult the faculty « aide à la réussite » (‘study support’) pages.
May sessions concern the following faculties :
- Faculty of Law and Criminology
- Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences
- Louvain School of Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
- Faculty of Motor Skills Science
- Faculty of Public Health
Students in the Health Sciences Sector on the Brussels-Woluwe campus can join the Virtual Library 2.0, created by and for students. It reproduces in your home a distance learning environment similar to that of a library.
- A l'Institut des langues vivantes (ILV)
The Language Institute (ILV) offers the Moodle ILV Help Desk so you can pose questions on the forum or make an appointment with a teacher for direct contact on Teams.
Bouncing back after the exam session
Votre session d'examens ne s'est pas déroulée comme vous l'espériez? Plusieurs options s'offrent à vous:
- Pour repartir sur de bonnes bases, vous pouvez compter sur l'appui des conseiller·ères aux études de votre faculté. Leur suivi individualisé vous permettra de construire une stratégie adaptée.
- Si vous vous interrogez sur votre projet d'études, le Centre d'information et d'orientation (CIO) peut vous apporter des réponses. Les conseiller·ères du CIO:
- vous accompagnent dans votre cheminement
- favorisent le développement de vos projets personnels
- vous encouragent à une double réflexion, sur vous et votre environnement, avant toute prise de décision
N'hésitez pas à consulter le cahier "Se réorienter dans le supérieur"!
- Si vous désirez vous réorienter ou si des difficultés personnelles, relationnelles, de santé ou des soucis financiers impactent vos études, les équipes du Service d'aide sont à votre écoute et vous assurent un suivi individuel et confidentiel.
Accessing library resources (e-Libraries)
Even at a distance, knowledge must remain accessible. Here are some links to the online resources of UCLouvain libraries:
- Remote access procedure (library proxy)
- Libellule document portal (bibliographic searches in collections and access to online resources)
- Discovery (full text searches in online resources)
- UCLouvain library websites (information on the availability of services)
Exercise, nutrition and well-being
Getting out of the house for fresh air and to move around, walking and running are all essential activities.
The UCLouvain Sport and Fitness Service offers daily live online exercise sessions that ensure interaction with the trainer.
Want to do cross-fit, cardio-fit, Zumba, ‘Latino Fitness’, yoga, abs-buttocks ...? Join the Sport and Fitness Service team on their Facebook page and Youtube channel !
Adopting a healthy diet !
The non-profit organisation Univers santé accompanies you in your kitchen ! It offers advice on nutrition and a whole range of healthy and tasty recipes that are easy to prepare !
While stress and anxiety sometimes punctuate daily life and the academic process.
The Univers Santé team offers to tips on how to cope with confinement and how to succeed and develop in the face of it.
UCLouvain Mons FUCaM students can count on the Administrative Student Support Service (SASE) team. It provides advice on how to manage your stress and time as well as how to stay connected and motivated even in times of confinement.
- Covid-19 et flatmates
How should you act and react regarding the disease ? What attitude should you adopt on campus or when you are in a shared flat ? The Univers santé team helps you see more clearly :
- Kot’Vid Friendly : the printable kit for living in shared flats;
- Covid-19 : how to live in a shared flat?
- when and why to quarantine ?
- when to quarantine and/or get tested ?
- Covid-19 testing centre
A Covid-19 testing centre is available in Louvain-la-Neuve. It is intended solely for UCLouvain, Belgian and international students.
For all practical questions, go to the testing centre's website.
- Covid-19 support unit
As part of the fight against Covid-19, the Student Support Service’s health team contacts students who have tested positive for Covid-19.
This allows us to check on students and determine whether they have had high-risk contacts during academic activities at UCLouvain during a period of potential contagiousness.
The Covid-19 support unit’s objective is to slow the spread of infections more quickly in order to return to academic life in the classroom.
- General information about Covid-19 at UCLouvain
For the latest information on the measures in force and their implications on campus, consult the site Info COVID .
With the support of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation