The Centre for Demographic Research of the UCLouvain (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium – www.uclouvain.be/demo) recruits a Postdoctoral researcher to work on the FNRS-funded STALL project “Fertility Stalls in Sub-Saharan Africa”.
This project has three broad objectives : documenting stalls in sub-Saharan Africa, describing their demographic dynamics, and identifying their underlying causes. The project will use demographic surveys and censuses from a large number of countries in sub-Saharan Africa, and will document case studies in selected countries.
The postdoctoral researcher will work in collaboration with the lead researcher. He/she will participate in the following activities:
- Analysis of demographic surveys and censuses and other data sources.
- Fieldwork in selected countries.
- Presentations at international conferences.
- Publications of journal articles on fertility changes in sub-Saharan Africa.
- PhD in demography or related discipline.
- Very good knowledge of demographic and statistical methods for the analysis of fertility data.
- Very good knowledge of the literature on fertility changes in Africa.
- Strong quantitative skills and very good knowledge of STATA and/or R.
- Experience in sub-Saharan Africa, and willingness to travel to several African countries.
- Good writing skills.
- Good working knowledge of English and/or French.
- Experience with qualitative methods is appreciated.
- Starting date: June 2019.
- Duration: 30 months.
- Net monthly allowance of 2,490 €.
- Candidates should have completed their PhD in the past 5 years.
- Candidates should not have lived in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years preceding the start of the contract.
Applications will include a complete CV, a motivation letter and the names and addresses of two reference persons who can be contacted.
Applications should be sent (by e-mail) before March 1, 2019.
Centre de recherche en démographie
Université catholique de Louvain