Ghent University – Department of economics (Ghent, Belgium)
UCLouvain – LIDAM/IRES(Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
invites an application for
A DOCTORAL RESEARCHER (F/M) IN ECONOMICS In the field of :
Empirical Labour and Policy Evaluation
starting on September 15, 2021
- The PhD candidate writes a doctoral thesis under the supervision of Prof. Bart Cockx (Department of Economics, UGent) and Prof. Muriel Dejemeppe (LIDAM/IRES, UCLouvain).
- The position is funded by the Belgian administration of scientific research to conduct research on a project entitled “The Belgian Short-time Work scheme: Economic and Psychological Impacts” of which a description can be found here. This vacancy concerns the economic perspective, but another doctoral researcher will be hired to consider the psychological perspective. Interdisciplinary interactions will be encouraged.
- The researcher aims at obtaining a joint PhD degree in economics of UGent and UCLouvain. This will comprise the completion of a doctoral training programme in accordance with the rules of both universities This includes advanced courses within the Belgian Graduate School in Economics, and attending and presenting research in seminars and international conferences. Click for more information on a Ph.D. in Economics at UGent and UCLouvain.
- As of the date of hiring, you are holder of a Master degree (120 ECTS) in Economics, Business Economics, Business Engineering, or Statistics, which you should have completed at least with honours (or belong to the top 20% of the class). Candidates who do not have a master's degree that was awarded in a country of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must also submit GRE test scores or GMAT scores (percentile ranking).
- You can work independently, accurately and systematically.
- You have an interest in applied quantitative methods, labour economics and micro-econometric evaluation of labour market policies.
- Knowledge of French and/or Dutch is not required but is an asset.
- A full-time position of research assistant for one year, with the possibility of renewal up to three additional years.
- Salary net of taxes is of the order of 2,000 € per month. The recruited person benefits from social security benefits, end-of-year and holiday bonus, travel and computer equipment resources.
- UGent (Department of Economics) and UCLouvain (LIDAM/IRES) will provide the PhD student with office space and computer facilities. The PhD student will divide his/her time between the two research centers according to arrangements to be agreed upon.
Send to Séverine Dinjar (IRES/LIDAM, UCLouvain) email@example.com, ideally in one PDF document and with email subject “Application to PhD position supervised by Cockx and Dejemeppe”, the following information:
- your CV,
- a letter of motivation,
- at least two letters of recommendation,
- a transcript of your grades (of all subjects), your rank in class or cohort (and if applicable GRE or GMAT test scores), and/or your degree(s) at university,
- the master thesis (if available, title, abstract and full text).
The deadline for submission is March 31, 2021.
Do not hesitate to send a mail for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.