Doctoral researcher in economics
The Department of Economics KU Leuven and the Economics School of Louvain (UCLouvain) invite applications for
A DOCTORAL RESEARCHER IN ECONOMICS in the field of:
Development Economics / Political Economy / International Economics Starting in September 2022
- The doctoral project aims to quantify the effectiveness of financial sanctions in China. The PhD candidate will have access to unique firm-level data and a complementary supervisory team. They will also be invited to develop their own research agenda in political economy or international/development economics.
- The project “Targeting the Corps: The Effectiveness of Humanitarian Sanctions in China” is financed by the Global PhD Partnership UCLouvain-KU Leuven, leading to a joint doctorate that will be obtained at both UCLouvain and KU Leuven.
- The candidate will write a doctoral thesis under the main supervisions of Johannes Van Biesebroeck (KULeuven) and JeanFrançois Maystadt (UCLouvain). The candidate will also benefit from interacting with Nele Warrinnier (KU Leuven) with a strong expertise in the economics of sanctions.
- The candidate will work the first two years at KU Leuven (LICOS) and the last two years at UCLouvain (LIDAM/IRES). The Department of Economics KU Leuven and the economics department in Louvain-la-Neuve provide dynamic and internationally oriented research environment currently counting 23 permanent faculty members for the former, and 18 faculty members for the latter. Both cities are dynamic and vibrant environments in the center of Belgium, close to Brussels, the capital of Belgium and of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
- In addition to performing the tasks of the research project, the PhD candidate will improve his/her research skills by completing a doctoral training program in Economics and will actively participate in the research activities of the institutes.
- For more information on the Department of Economics KU Leuven, its researchers, output and activities please consult http:// feb.kuleuven.be/economics. For more information on the Economics School of Louvain:
- The position comes with a maximum of 7 hours/week of teaching or administrative duties.
- The candidate is (or will be at the end of this academic year) holder of a Master degree in Economics, which should be completed with honors. Preference will be given to students who have completed a research Master or a second Master year with a research orientation and students who have taken courses or written a thesis in a closely related field.
- The candidate works independently, accurately and systematically.
- The candidate must have a deep interest in questions related to sanctions, economic development, trade, a thorough knowledge of econometrics, and should be proficient in English.
- The position starts September 2022. Funding is for four years and is renewed annually based on satisfactory progress.
- Salary, net of taxes, is of the order of 2,150€ per month. The recruited person benefits from the complete Belgian social insurance scheme (health care, etc.) without additional expenses.
- LICOS and IRES will provide the PhD student with office space and computer facilities.
Send a motivation and your CV including a copy of all your exam results(transcripts) to Andras Avonts (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Manuella de Vleeschouwer (email@example.com) no later than June 15th, 2022. Include the name of two professors who could act as a referee for your application. Submissions that do not abide by these instructions will not be considered.
The application can also include the following documents:
- (recommended) GRE or GMAT test score and/or proof of English proficiency such as TOEFL or IELTS test scores
- (optional) Writing sample, e.g. MA thesis
- (optional) Reference letters can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org by your referees
If you have questions regarding the application or about the PhD position itself, please contact Andras Avonts. You can apply for this job no later than June 15, 2022 via the online application tool :