The EDEM studies European asylum and immigration law and their implementation in Belgian law. This involves European law and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights, as well as international law, as it defines refugees and fundamental rights for migrants.
Research at EDEM includes :
- The impact of ECHR case law and EU law on national law, through the European Common Asylum System (REAC).
- The LIMA project : How the Legal framework Impacts on Migrants’ Agency ?
- Along with the Odysseus Academic Network, comparative studies of national systems of European countries, especially regarding the Return Directive.
- Legal support for asylum seekers in collaboration with the UNHCR.
- Economic immigration from a legal and multidisciplinary point of view.
This work is leading to publications, seminars and conferences, a case-law database and monthly Papers (Cahiers).